I recently read a fantastic book – “Traction” by Gino Wickman – which covers excellent strategies to grow your business. I highly recommend that you read the book.
One of Gino Wickman’s strategies is to get the Right People in the Right Seats and he uses 3 main tools to achieve this:
- The People Analyser
- The Accountability Chart
- The G.W.C. (explained below)
The People Analyser is a way to rate your people against your set of core values. I won’t cover this in much detail in this blog but I might in another article. I mainly want to cover off the Accountability Chart and the G.W.C criteria.
The Accountability Chart
This is an organisational chart that shows the top 3-5 responsibilities for each role in the business. He says that there are 5 key management/leadership roles in an organisation:
- Integrator (there person that manages the people and the systems)
- Head of Sales & Marketing
- Head of Operations
- Head of Finance & Admin
Once you identify who fills each of these roles, you need to assess them against the G.W.C. criteria.
- Do they Get It? Do they understand what is required of the role and why it is so important to the long-term growth and development of the business?
- Do they Want It? Do they want the responsibility that comes with the management role?
- Do they have the capacity to succeed in the role. Capacity covers: emotional capacity, intellectual capacity, physical capacity (the energy) and the time capacity.
They must meet all 3 if they are going to be effective in their role.